Special Collections and University Archives, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Enfield Congregational Church Records
Within fifteen years of the incorporation of the town of Enfield in 1816, members of the Greenwich Congregational Church South Parish (established in 1786) reorganized to establish the Enfield Congregational Church. They applied to Enfield Constable Orum Hanks in 1831 to post a warrant for a meeting of the Enfield parish and acquired the services of Josiah Curtis and Samuel Clapp as minister and assistant minister. The land upon which the Enfield Congregational Church was built was donated by Captain Joseph Hooker, grandfather of the prominent Civil War general.
Throughout its history, the membership of the Congregational Church approached 300, about one quarter of the town's population. The Church also served as the social and cultural center of the town and sponsored a Women's Missionary Society. The Church went out of existence in 1939 when the town was taken for the Quabbin Reservoir. The chapel bell from the Church was installed in the New Salem Central Congregational Church in 1938.
Enfield was among the Western Massachusetts towns abolished in 1938 to allow the Swift River Valley to be flooded, thereby creating the Quabbin Reservoir to provide Boston with water.