Voices of Feminism Oral History Project, 1990-2006
78 boxes (30.75 linear ft.)
Collection number: MS 535
Oral History Project documenting the persistence and diversity of organizing for women in the United States. Narrators include labor, peace, and anti-racism activists; artists and writers; lesbian rights advocates; grassroots anti-violence and anti-poverty organizers; and women of color reproductive justice leaders. Interviews cover childhood, personal life, and political work. Most oral histories consist of audiovisual recordings and transcripts, plus some background information.
Terms of Access and Use:
Restrictions on access:
Restrictions on use:
The oral histories are open to research according to the regulations of the Sophia Smith Collection, with the following exceptions:
- Small portions of the following interviews are closed and have been removed from the transcripts: Kathleen Casavant, Katsi Cook, Loretta Ross, Graciela Sanchez, and Miriam Schneir.
- Researchers must have permission from the narrator to access these interviews: Brenda Berkman, Lora Jo Foo, and Jan Peterson.
- Kathleen Casavant's interview transcript not available online. Researchers may contact the SSC for a copy.
- Original audiovisual recordings are closed for preservation purposes. In-house use copies are available for most interviews.
The Sophia Smith Collection owns copyright to all of the oral histories except for these narrators who have retained copyright:
- Dolores Alexander
- Dorothy Allison
- Dorothy Allison and Carmen Vazquez (joint interview)
- Lora Foo
- Ronnie Gilbert
- Cherríe Moraga
- Suzanne Pharr
- Minnie Bruce Pratt
- Meredith Tax
Permission must be obtained to publish reproductions or quotations beyond "fair use." Requests for permission to publish quotations should be addressed to the Sophia Smith Collection and should include identification of the specific passages to be quoted, anticipated use of the passages, and identification of the user. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Sophia Smith Collection