Board of Trustees Records
The Board of Trustees governs many aspects of the college, including financial decisions. Members include the President of the College, the President of the Alumnae Association, the head of student government, alumnae trustees elected by the Alumnae Association, and other regular members elected by the Board of Trustees.
Harriet (Bliss) Ford graduated from Smith College in 1899. She served as the first chairman of the Alumnae Fund Committee and as a director of the Alumnae Association before becoming a trustee of the college in 1928. She was the first resident trustee, and lived at the college from 1931 until the end of her term in 1936. Harriet Ford also participated in national service organizations, such as the American Red Cross and YWCA, was chairman of the Paris committee of the Smith College Relief Unit in France, and was a civic leader in the city of Northampton until her death in 1964.
Dorothy Nepper Marshall graduated from Smith College in 1935, and went on to receive her PhD from Bryn Mawr College. She was a dean at Bryn Mawr for more than twenty years, before moving to work for UMass Boston. She held the position of vice-chancellor there for several years, and was considered to be one of the highest-ranking women in education. She held many trusteeships, including the Ford Foundation, Holy Cross College, and Smith College. She was trustee of Smith from 1959-1969, and then again as Chairman from 1975 until her retirement in 1980.
Charlotte (Cheever) Tucker graduated from Smith College in 1891. She was a trustee of the college from 1889-1895.