Five College Archives and Manuscript Collections
Mount Holyoke College seal
Politics Department Records, 1931-
21 (15.21 linear ft.)
Collection number: RG 18.31 (LD 7092.8)

Abstract:
The Mount Holyoke College Politics Department Records contain articles, press releases, announcements, brochures, invitations, surveys, department publications, notes, historical sketches, memoranda, correspondence, agendas and minutes of department meetings, committee reports, financial reports, course descriptions and assignments, syllabi, reading lists, examinations, department enrollment, lists of honors and graduate students, lists of student assistants, teaching schedules, questionnaires on grading, course evaluations, student files, student papers, lists of advisees, audio tapes, and photographs.

Terms of Access and Use:

Records restricted to use by office/department of origin for 25 years from date of record creation.

Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections
South Hadley, MA

Historical Note

Politics has been taught at Mount Holyoke in some form since the establishment of the Seminary in 1837. Between 1837 and 1896, Mount Holyoke offered courses on government, political economy, United States political history, the U.S. Constitution, civics, and international law. During that time, emphasis shifted from economics to sociology to political science according to the ideological trends of the day and the discretion of individual professors. In 1896, Miss Annah May Soule joined the faculty to teach "Constitutional History and Political Economy." Her leadership and influence resulted in a permanent focus on the social sciences aspect of political science. However, the status of the department remained contested for years. The 1898-1899 course catalogue lists Political Economy as a separate department from History or Economics. In 1903, Politics was listed with History as the Department of History and Political Science. In 1905, Politics was further subsumed as sub-catergory B (American History, Political Economy, and Sociology) of the History Department. One year later, Politics and Social Economy was again distinguished from History. In 1908, there was absolutely no mention of a Politics Department; rather, politics courses were taught within the Economics and Sociology Department. The following year, the department was renamed Economics, Political Science, and Sociology. In 1911 it returned to Economics and Sociology for 29 years. In 1940, the catalogue lists Political Science as a distinct department for the first time. The Department finally became known as Politics in 1979.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The Mount Holyoke College Politics Department Records contain articles, press releases, announcements, brochures, invitations, surveys, department publications, notes, historical sketches, memoranda, correspondence, agendas and minutes of department meetings, committee reports, financial reports, course descriptions and assignments, syllabi, reading lists, examinations, department enrollment, lists of honors and graduate students, lists of student assistants, teaching schedules, questionnaires on grading, course evaluations, student files, student papers, lists of advisees, audio tapes, and photographs. In general, the records pertain to the Politics Department's history and activities. In particular, they address assistantships, fellowships, internships, grants, and scholarships sponsored by the Politics Department or received by department faculty and students; special programs such as the Amherst-Mount Holyoke Political Studies Center; department-sponsored conferences and lectures; and student initiatives and leadership in activist events.


Information on Use
Terms of Access and Use
Restrictions on access:

Records restricted to use by office/department of origin for 25 years from date of record creation.

Preferred Citation

Please use the following format when citing materials from this collection:

Politics Department Records, Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections, South Hadley, MA.

History of the Collection


Additional Information
Contact Information
Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections
8 Dwight Hall
50 College St.
South Hadley, MA 01075

Phone: (413) 538-2013
Fax: (413) 538-2370

Email Reference Form: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/arch/forms/areq.htm
URL: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/arch/

Language
English


Questions about this collection? Contact the archives
Home | Help | About | Search