Five College Archives and Manuscript
                        Collections
Mount Holyoke College seal
Latin Department Records, 1893-ca. 1936
( linear ft.)
Collection number: RG 18.22 (LD 7092.8)

Abstract:
The Mount Holyoke College Latin Department Records contain reports; an historical sketch; a photocopied page from the Llamarada; examinations; exercises; booklets; and photographs.

Terms of Access and Use:

Unrestricted

Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections
South Hadley, MA

Historical Note

Latin has been taught at Mount Holyoke since the early days of the Seminary. Although Latin was taught in the first year of the Seminary, plans for its explicit inclusion in the curriculum began in 1839. Courses in Latin, at this time, were strongly recommended by teachers and trustees. Beginning in the 1845/1846 academic year, some knowledge of Latin was required for the diploma. Four years later, admission requirements included a good knowledge of Latin, and Seminary students were required to take two years of Latin for the diploma. In the 1860/1861 academic year, the Seminary lengthened curriculum to four years, and Latin was required in each of the four years. In 1888/1889, Mount Holyoke College offered several different courses of study, including Classical, Scientific, and Literary. Latin was included in both the Classical and Scientific courses of study. In 1894/1895, a Latin Department was founded. At this time, knowledge of Latin was still required for admission to the College, and over the next forty years the specific requirement in Latin vacillated. In the 1907/1908 academic year, "majors" were defined, and Latin was listed as a major subject. In 1910/1911, students were given a choice of Greek or Latin as a requirement for the A.B. degree. By 1923/1924, a wider range of subjects, including Latin, fulfilled this degree requirement. In the 1935/1936 academic year, the Latin Department joined the Greek Department to become the Department of Classical Languages and Literature. Twenty five years later, this department was renamed the Classics Department.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The Mount Holyoke College Latin Department Records contain reports; an historical sketch; a photocopied page from the Llamarada; examinations; exercises; booklets; and photographs. The historical sketch provides information about requirements and course of study in Latin from 1837 until 1937. Course records include entrance examinations, comprehensive examinations, and examinations from various courses in Latin, as well as exercises used in various courses. The annual reports from the department to the President of the College are contained in the records, and these include information regarding enrollment trends, faculty activities, department activities, and statistics related to Latin majors, minors, and honor students. Photographs found in the records mainly depict students in department performances.


Information on Use
Terms of Access and Use
Restrictions on access:

Unrestricted

Preferred Citation

Please use the following format when citing materials from this collection:

Latin Department Records, Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections, South Hadley, MA.

History of the Collection


Additional Information
Contact Information
Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections
8 Dwight Hall
50 College St.
South Hadley, MA 01075

Phone: (413) 538-2013
Fax: (413) 538-2370

Email Reference Form: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/arch/forms/areq.htm
URL: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/arch/
Language
English


Questions about this collection? Contact the archives
Home | Help | About | Search