Five College Archives and Manuscript
                        Collections
Mount Holyoke College seal
Classics Department Records, 1910-
1 box (0.3 linear ft.)
Collection number: RG 18.10 (LD 7092.8)

Abstract:
The Mount Holyoke College Classics Department Records contain lists; newspaper clippings; advertisements; play programs and scripts; brochures; scrapbooks; press releases; reports; and photographs.

Terms of Access and Use:

Records restricted to use by office/department of origin for 25 years from date of record creation.

Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections
South Hadley, MA

Historical Note

Courses in Latin have been taught at Mount Holyoke College since it was founded in 1837. The study of Latin was required of all students at this time. In the 1874/1875 academic year, an optional course of study in Greek was offered to students. In the 1886/1887 academic year, various new courses of study were developed, including one in Ancient Languages and one in Ancient and Medieval Literature. These courses of study existed until the 1889/1890 academic year. The following academic year, the two merged to form the Ancient Classics Department. Five years later, the department split again, this time into a Greek Department and a Latin Department. These departments were independent for forty years; in the 1935/1936 academic year they rejoined to form the Classical Languages and Literature Department. In the 1960/1961 academic year, the department was renamed the Classics Department.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The Mount Holyoke College Classics Department Records contain lists; newspaper clippings; advertisements; play programs and scripts; brochures; scrapbooks; press releases; reports; and photographs. The records include information about special events in the department including performances, lectures, and symposia. General activities of the department are illustrated in two scrapbooks, including newspaper articles, photographs, award recipients, faculty accomplishments, and department notices, compiled by Helen Frances Wood. Included in the records is a historical sketch of the department written by Professor Cornelia C. Coulter and a description of the components of the department exhibit created for the Centenary of the College. An article about classical languages and war work at the time of World War II is included in the records along with a profile of notable events of the department. The Classics Department brochures and annual reports of the department to the President of the College are also contained in the records. The department's annual reports contain information about courses taught, enrollment trends, undergraduate work and accomplishments, performances, and faculty appointments and leaves of absence. Photographs are mainly of faculty and students in performances; also included are photographs from a trip to Greece, classroom scenes, and students and faculty at department events. The records contain information about the following members of the Classics Department: Cornelia C. Coulter, Helen Currier Flint, Caroline Galt, Helen Elizabeth Hoag, Helen M. Searles, Mary Elizabeth Taylor, and Margaret Coleman Waites.


Information on Use
Terms of Access and Use
Restrictions on access:

Records restricted to use by office/department of origin for 25 years from date of record creation.

Preferred Citation

Please use the following format when citing materials from this collection:

Classics Department Records, Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections, South Hadley, MA.

History of the Collection


Additional Information
Contact Information
Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections
8 Dwight Hall
50 College St.
South Hadley, MA 01075

Phone: (413) 538-2013
Fax: (413) 538-2370

Email Reference Form: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/arch/forms/areq.htm
URL: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/arch/
Language
English


Questions about this collection? Contact the archives
Home | Help | About | Search