Five College Archives and Manuscript Collections
Mount Holyoke College seal
Botany Department , 1891-1964
1 box (0.3 linear ft.)
Collection number: RG 18.8 (LD 7092.8)

Abstract:
The Mount Holyoke College Botany Department Records contain correspondence; a photocopied page from the "Llamarada;" newspaper clippings; reports; a journal; a grade book; course descriptions; examinations; and photographs.

Terms of Access and Use:

Access to student records restricted.

Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections
South Hadley, MA

Historical Note

Courses in botany have been taught at Mount Holyoke College since it opened in 1837. At this time, the course of study in botany consisted solely of the identification and classification of flowering plants. Mary Lyon began an herbarium in the year that the Seminary first opened, and in 1861, Lydia Shattuck began her major contribution to the herbarium. In 1878, Lydia Shattuck opened the botanical gardens at the Seminary. In 1884, a significant expansion of the department occurred when Henrietta Hooker taught a class on mosses. Also added at this time were classes in general morphology and classification of phanerogams and general histology and physiology and systemic botany. Until the 1896/1897 academic year, botany was a required subject of all students at the College. In the 1897/1898 academic year, botany became an elective subject. The Botany Department was a formal department at the College until the 1940/1941 academic year, when it became the Plant Sciences Department. In the 1960/1961 academic year, it was renamed the Botany Department at the request of faculty, staff, and students. It remained the Botany Department until 1963/1964. In the following year it was merged with the Physiology and Zoology Departments to form the Biological Sciences Department.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The Mount Holyoke College Botany Department Records contain correspondence; a photocopied page from the "Llamarada;" newspaper clippings; reports; a journal; a grade book; course descriptions; examinations; and photographs. The records contain historical sketches and writings about the department and its aims and scope written by Sarah J. Agard, Henrietta E. Hooker, and Alma Grace Stokey. The records include information about special events within the Botany Department and the daily occurrences within the department, including ongoing and special research. Information about the College's botanical gardens is also included. Faculty profiles are provided for a number of faculty members, and photographs depict students, staff, and faculty in the classrooms, doing fieldwork, in the laboratory, in the botanical gardens, and at department gatherings.


Information on Use
Terms of Access and Use
Restrictions on access:

Access to student records restricted.

Preferred Citation

Please use the following format when citing materials from this collection:

Botany Department Records, Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections, South Hadley, MA.

History of the Collection


Additional Information
Contact Information
Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections
8 Dwight Hall
50 College St.
South Hadley, MA 01075

Phone: (413) 538-2013
Fax: (413) 538-2370

Email Reference Form: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/arch/forms/areq.htm
URL: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/arch/

Language
English


Questions about this collection? Contact the archives
Home | Help | About | Search