Terms of Access and Use:
The Western Female Seminary was founded in 1853 in Oxford, Ohio by Reverend Daniel and Mrs. Tenney. It was one of the original "daughter schools" of Mount Holyoke Seminary. Helen Peabody, student of Mary Lyon, was selected as principal of the Seminary. In 1894 it became The Western, a College and Seminary for Women. In 1904 its name changed again, to Western College for Women. It is now a small liberal arts college.
Notebooks, catalogs, publications, clippings, photographs, of Western Female Seminary, later named Western College for Women. Includes manuscript journals of early years, 1863, 1877-1880.
Please use the following format when citing materials from this collection:
Western Female Seminary Collection, Mount Holyoke College, Acrhives and Special Collections, South Hadley, Massachusetts
Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections
8 Dwight Hall
50 College St.
South Hadley, MA 01075
Phone: (413) 538-2013
Fax: (413) 538-2370 Email Reference Form: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/arch/forms/areq.htm