Terms of Access and Use:
Byfield Female Seminary opened in 1806 in Byfield Massachusetts. The Reverend Joseph Emerson, a Congregational pastor and teacher, was Principal of the Seminary from 1818-1821, when he moved the school to Saugus, Massachusetts. Pupils at Byfield Female Seminary included Mary Lyon, the founder of Mount Holyoke College, and Zilpah P. Grant Banister.
The Byfield Seminary Collection consists of catalogues, historical information and a photograph. The materials briefly document the founding of the institution and its evolution from a seminary into a private residence. They also emphasize the influence of the school's principal, Joseph Emerson, and his educational principles on Mary Lyon, who attended Byfield in 1821. The catalogues dated 1818-1822 and 1821 list the names of students and their residences. Also included in the collection are a newspaper article dated 1966 and a magnet listing the activities celebrating the tercentenary of Byfield Church in 2002. The photograph is a picture of the Byfield Building dated circa 1900.
This collection is organized into three series:
Please use the following format when citing materials from this collection:
Byfield Seminary Collection, Mount Holyoke College, Archives and Special Collections, South Hadley, Massachusetts
Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections
8 Dwight Hall
50 College St.
South Hadley, MA 01075
Phone: (413) 538-2013
Fax: (413) 538-2370 Email Reference Form: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/library/arch/forms/areq.htm