Five College Archives and Manuscript Collections
Home >> Amherst College Archives & Special Collections >> Faculty Club Records, 1891-1962
Amherst College seal
Faculty Club Records, 1891-1962
4 archives boxes (2 linear ft.)

Abstract:
Minutes, treasurer's reports, bank statements, bills, and correspondence relating to the activities of the Faculty Club.

Terms of Access and Use:

Restrictions on access:

There is no restriction on access to the Faculty Club Papers for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes.

Restrictions on use:

Requests for permission to publish material from the Faculty Club Papers should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.

Amherst College Archives and Special Collections

Historical Note

The first meeting of the Faculty Club was held on January 14, 1914, with President Alexander Meiklejohn as the chair. At this time, the club was not named; it officially became the "Faculty Club of Amherst College" on March 3, 1914. Initially, it held its meetings in Hitchcock Hall, which stood on the site of what is now (2003) Converse Hall. Meetings normally included supper, which was arranged and cooked by a committee appointed by the club's president. In the following years, the faculty club met in Hitchcock Hall (1914-1917), Appleton Hall (1917), the Octagon (1918-1919), Morgan Library (1919-1925), Noah Webster Library (from 1926 until the fire in Webster in 1939), and Sidney White House (1942-). The Faculty Club merged with Amherst College Women in 1984 to form the Amherst College Association.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

Minutes, treasurer's reports, bank statements, bills, and correspondence relating to the activities of the Faculty Club from 1914 to 1962.


Information on Use
Terms of Access and Use
Restrictions on access:

There is no restriction on access to the Faculty Club Papers for research use. Particularly fragile items may be restricted for preservation purposes.

Restrictions on use:

Requests for permission to publish material from the Faculty Club Papers should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections. It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.

Preferred Citation

Please use the following format when citing materials from this collection:

[Identification of item], in Faculty Club Papers [Box #, Folder #], Amherst College Archives and Special Collections, Amherst College Library

History of the Collection


Additional Information
Contact Information
Amherst College Archives and Special Collections
Robert Frost Library
PO Box 5000
Amherst, MA 01002-5000

Phone: (413) 542-2299
Fax: (413) 542-2692

Email Reference Form: http://www.amherst.edu/library/archives/askus
URL: http://www.amherst.edu/library/archives

Language
English.