Emily Dickinson Collection
Information on Use
Terms of Access and Use
Restrictions on access:
Access to original material and artifacts is restricted for preservation reasons; high-resolution digital surrogates of all of the Dickinson manuscripts are available for use in the reading room. Permission from the Head of Archives and Special Collections is required to use original Dickinson material and should be requested in writing at least 24 hours in advance. Materials from other institutions which are included in the Emily Dickinson Collections cannot be duplicated, as indicated.
Restrictions on use:
Requests for permission to publish material from the Collection should be directed to the Head of Archives and Special Collections. All of Dickinson's poems and letters published before 1923 are in the public domain. Permission to quote from the Johnson and Franklin editions should be directed to Office of Copyrights and Permissions, Harvard University Press, 79 Garden Street, Cambridge, Mass. 02138-1499 (tel. 617-495-2600; fax 617-496-4677). It is the responsibility of the researcher to identify and satisfy the holders of all copyrights.
Please use the following format when citing materials from this collection:
[Identification of item], in Emily Dickinson Collection [Box #, Folder #], Amherst College Archives and Special Collections, Amherst College Library
History of the Collection
History of the Collection and its Organization
The majority of the materials in the Emily Dickinson Collection were given to the College on March 23, 1956, by Millicent Todd Bingham, the daughter of David Peck Todd (AC 1875) and Mabel Loomis Todd, and herself a Dickinson scholar and editor. The original collection consisted of 850 poems and fragments of poems; 350 letters, notes, and drafts to and from family and friends; the daguerreotype and silhouette of Emily Dickinson; and the extensive correspondence and publication material of Mabel Loomis Todd and Millicent Todd Bingham. The majority of the Dickinson manuscripts were given to Mabel Loomis Todd by Lavinia Dickinson after her sister's death. Others were gathered by Todd from Dickinson's correspondents through personal request and a number of well publicized efforts to gather Dickinson material. Millicent Todd Bingham inherited these from her mother. The remainder of the materials in the collection came to Amherst College from various sources beginning in 1936 and continuing to the present.
Information About Books Owned, Inscribed or Attributed to Ownership by Dickinson
Archives and Special Collections owns a number of books that were owned, inscribed by or attributed to the ownership of Emily Dickinson. The books are listed below; additional information is available through the Amherst College Library catalog.
These three books bear inscriptions by Emily Dickinson:
These seven books bear no mark of Dickinson's ownership but were found standing on the same shelf with two books bearing her inscription: