Five College Archives and Manuscript Collections
Home >> Amherst College Archives & Special Collections >> Town of Amherst Collection, ca. 1828 - present (bulk: 1920 - 1959) MA.00124
Amherst College seal
Town of Amherst Collection, ca. 1828-present 1920-1959
2 records storage boxes, 1 oversize flat box (3 linear ft.)
Collection number: MA.00124

Abstract:
Written histories of the town; local government records; records of schools, private organizations, and local businesses; personal papers; souvenirs and programs of community events; maps of the town; and a large number of newspaper clippings.

Terms of Access and Use:

Restrictions on access:

There is no restriction on access to the Town of Amherst Collection for research use.

Restrictions on use:

Requests for permission to publish material from the collection should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections.

Amherst College Archives and Special Collections

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The Town of Amherst Collection contains materials dating from 1828 to the present, with the bulk of the material dated 1920-1959. The materials include: written histories of the town; local government records; records of schools, private organizations, and local businesses; and some personal papers. Also included are souvenirs and programs of community events, maps of the town, and a large number of newspaper clippings.

The most extensive group of records within the collection is "City Planning" (in the Local Government Series), consisting mostly of correspondence, minutes, and reports of the Town Planning Board and the Massachusetts Federation of Planning Boards (ca. 1920-1927). Town planning reports and maps from other towns have been kept with this group because of their connection to the Federation. (The Amherst Town Planning Board was also a member.)

Also of interest are the Amherst Historical Society records. These include correspondence between Mabel Loomis Todd and a Boston attorney regarding the founding of the Society. A number of photographs of the Strong House Museum, originally included, have been removed to the Photographic Images Collection.

The Histories Series includes three histories of Amherst and the Connecticut Valley, written by Alice M. Walker and printed in 1901 and 1903, as well as an Amherst College class paper that includes several oral histories of town residents.

In the Schools Series are materials relating to specific Amherst schools. The Mt. Pleasant Classical Institution, also known as Mt. Pleasant Institute, is well represented.

Most of the materials have been arranged into series by subject, then alphabetically within each series. Certain materials have been separated into their own series by type, such as Newspapers and Clippings.


Information on Use
Terms of Access and Use
Restrictions on access:

There is no restriction on access to the Town of Amherst Collection for research use.

Restrictions on use:

Requests for permission to publish material from the collection should be directed to the Archives and Special Collections.

History of the Collection

Processing Information

The exact date of accession and other details concerning the origin of this collection are unknown. The material in the collection appears to have been gathered over a period of time and compiled in a general arrangement under the title "Amherst Town Files." The collection originally contained materials relating to other area towns and colleges (not in Amherst), which are now in a separate Town Files Collection. All other materials have been retained with the exception of the Lord Jeffery Inn records, now located in the Buildings and Grounds Collection. All photographs have been cross-referenced and moved to the Photographic Images Collection.

Processed: Oct.-Dec. 1989
By: Margaret Jessup, Intern, Simmons College School of Library and Information Science
Finding Aid:
Prepared For The Web: 2003 June
By: Graham Leach-Krouse 05, Student Encoding Assistant


Additional Information
Contact Information
Amherst College Archives and Special Collections
Robert Frost Library
PO Box 5000
Amherst, MA 01002-5000

Phone: (413) 542-2299
Fax: (413) 542-2692

Email Reference Form: http://www.amherst.edu/library/archives/askus
URL: http://www.amherst.edu/library/archives

Language
English